Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Prayer in Time of Floods

"So let every good man pray to you in the time of need. The floods of water may reach high but him they shall not reach." (Ps 31(32):6)

Again from the Psalms, inspired as they are by the Holy Ghost, and so teaching us how to pray:

Psalm 69(68):2-3,16

Salvum me fac, Deus: * quoniam intraverunt aquæ usque ad animam meam.
Infixus sum in limo profundi: * et non est substantia.
Veni in altitudinem maris: * et tempestas demersit me.
Non me demergat tempestas aquæ, neque absorbeat me profundum: * neque urgeat super me puteus os suum.

Save me, O God: * for the waters are come in even unto my soul.
I stick fast in the mire of the deep: * and there is no sure standing.
I am come into the depth of the sea: * and a tempest hath overwhelmed me.
Let not the tempest of water drown me, nor the deep swallow me up: * and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me.


From the Anglican Patrimony:


From lightning and tempest; from earthquake, fire, and flood; from plague, pestilence, and famine, 
Good Lord, deliver us.  (BDW)

O ALMIGHTY Lord God, who for the sin of man didst once drown all the world, except eight persons, and afterward of thy great mercy didst promise never to destroy it so again; We humbly beseech thee, that although we for our iniquities have worthily deserved a plague of rain and waters, yet upon our true repentance thou wilt send us such weather, as that we may receive the fruits of the earth in due season; and learn both by thy punishment to amend our lives, and for thy clemency to give thee praise and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.  (1662 BCP)

No comments: