Thursday, December 3, 2009

St Francis Xavier

I was able to devote a good block of time to-day to reading the Office in honour of St Francis Xavier, that indefatigable missionary (how good it is to read Thursday's psalms, so many of which are as old friends!); but then completely lost track of time, and by the time I arrived at Mass, Father went to read the Prayer after Communion! At least I think I received his blessing: question - he was in the side chapel, and I had simply knelt at the rails before the main sanctuary, so that he was actually facing away from me, and gave the blessing toward only those with him there; assuming his implicit intention was to bless those at Mass, was I included, least and latest and last?

The Collect was quite pointed: as we venerate the glorious merits of St Francis Xavier, so may we profit by the example of his virtues.

No comments: