Saturday, October 17, 2009

St Michael in periculo maris

I almost missed it, but to-day, the 16th, marks the 1299th anniversary of the consecration of the church of St Michael atop Mont-Saint-Michel, just off the coast of Normandy; formerly, in many parts was kept the feast of St Michael in periculo maris, so-named because to reach the rock and the shrine and monastery there was to hazard the tides of the sea (the present causeway was only completed in the late nineteenth century). The Archangel himself had appeared to the local bishop in 708 to request this church be built, just as he appeared at Monte Gargano in Italy (from the date of the consecration of which church came another feast of St Michael on the 8th of May).

Pray for us, St Michael, glorious commander of the heavenly legions, and protector of the true Israel of God, the Church of Jesus Christ; aid us in our mortal combat against our pernicious foes, fleshly and ghostly; and at our death, bring our souls before the dread judgement seat of Christ, where by His grace we may be saved.

3 comments:

CG said...

'St Michael in the Mountain Tomb' is celebrated on 16th October in the Sarum Kalendar. You might find this post of interest, http://valleadurni.blogspot.com/2009/03/st-michael-and-mounts.html, and also the comments following it, about possible links with sites where Mithras was worshipped.

While I'm here, Joshua, do you know anyone who would welcome and use a copy of the Breviarium Monasticum, part I (only) of the 2-volume Desclée 4th edition, 1953. Condition is close to perfect, with no signs of wear at all. The US vendor sent it to me by mistake for another book I had ordered and would rather I keep it than refund the return postage. Which is very generous but I have no use for it. Anyone who has may contact me at cgichard at mira dot net, and we can make arrangements directly.

Joshua said...

I myself am interested! I will email you to negotiate terms...

Joshua said...

CG and I have agreed on a mutually satisfactory bargain, and so the relevant copy of the Monastic Breviary will be heading my way soon...