Tuesday, December 2, 2008

First Feria of Advent

It was good to have Monday as a feria - it gave me a chance to familiarize myself with the Advent Office, with its special antiphons, little chapters, responds, and so forth, and its use of Lauds II (beginning with the Miserere).  I calculate that this year the ferial Office will be used 12 days out of the 25, and the Lauds and Vesper preces on 7 of them (but are they said on the Vigil of Christmas, which falls on a Wednesday?)...

Fr Rowe must have had similar thoughts, for he offered up Mass of the feria, that is, a repeat of the Sunday Mass, but for the omission of the Alleluia and its verse.  Since the Gloria is otherwise said on all Sundays and feasts outside of Advent, Septuagesimatide and Lent, its absence remains striking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joshua:

Need help - can you advise? Do I use Lauds II on the non-ferial days, e.g. today, a IIIrd class feria?

Joshua said...

Mark,

So far as I understand it, having read over the rubrics in preparation for Advent, Lauds II is only for ferias of Advent - on any feast (even IIIrd class), one uses Lauds I.

Pray for me, as I will for you.